At CRCD, we and our manager invest in cooperatives and SMEs with projects that show potential for future growth and profitability. CRCD has a real affinity for SMEs.
We work with entrepreneurs across a variety of markets and objectives to support:
- SMEs in a range of industries and sizes
- Transferring entrepreneurs
- Women leaders
- Innovative enterprises
- Young farmers
- Québec’s most active investor with great proximity to the regions
- Access to a vast business network that includes all the reach of Desjardins
- A comprehensive service offering with financial packages tailored to your business views and plans
- Recognized business transfer leadership with the know-how to develop employee ownership programs
- An integrated offering of conventional and development capital financing
The range of projects we support grows with your business:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Expansion et modernisation
- Business transfers
- Improvement of working capital
Our investment criteria
The companies we seek for our development capital investments have several of the following characteristics:
- A management team that is competent, seasoned, visionary, dynamic and financially committed
- A business plan that is well-stated, well-defined, well-structured and ambitious yet realistic
- Shareholders that are open to the idea of sharing their strategic direction with a financial partner
- Outstanding growth potential and a marketing network
- A competitive advantage (well-differentiated product, service or process, favourable market position or well-defined niche) and a substantial market
- A first-rate technical quality product with intellectual property protection
Development capital support is intended to complement traditional financing in meeting financial needs. The amounts we invest range from $100,000 to $50 million depending on the financial package needed to carry out your project.
Equity interest in the business
Rather than relying only on borrowing and in order to optimize your financial leverage, CRCD offers financial packages that include an equity interest. Through patient capital, CRCD can maintain a partnership for periods that generally range from 5 to 15 years. A well-capitalized SME can more easily navigate tough spots such as the loss of a contract, decreases in profitability, increases in raw materials costs, etc.
This type of investment supports your business plan and gives you the advantage of strategic guidance from seasoned directors twinned with your SME. Drawn from a pool of over 200 external directors, all recognized for their expertise and business network, twins actively take part in defining strategic directions for your business and establishing a sound governance process.
Opting for a loan might be a good fit for your business if you don’t want to dilute your share capital or haven’t yet reached the stage where you want to welcome a new shareholder aboard. Subordinate loans are generally for a term of 5 to 8 years, with repayment terms that are flexible and linked to your business forecasts.
But a financial package can also combine elements of both types of financing.